Monday, February 27, 2012

Job Outlook for Web Developers

Today I stumbled across an article online that talked about the job outlook of Web Developers for 2012 and beyond. The article, which was from usnews.com, currently has the job title of Web Developer as the number 6 on the "Top 10 Jobs for 2012". I'll take it. Let's take a look at what exactly this article by Katy Marquardt had to say.

First, the article talked about some basics of what a web developer actually does. I think the most important statement that Katy makes is that really a web developer does more than create more than visually-appealing and user friendly websites, but that they must take into account a client's products or services as well as that client's target market so that the design and functionality is reflected to portray that target audience.

The outlook looks real promising according to Katy for web developers. She states that the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects nearly a 22% employment growth between 2010 and 2020, resulting in that time from the need for over 65,000 jobs to be filled. The Bureau of Labor Statistics that web developers made a median salary of $75, 660 in 2010, with the lowest-paid developers still earning $43,190 that same year. That's comforting to me and really motivates me to continue to teach myself web design and development so I can obtain a well-paying, satisfying career.

The remainder of the article talks about how networking is important in landing that first web developer job, but so is showcasing your abilities. This is something that is a constant battle for me as I continue to attempt to teach myself to professionally develop websites. On a lighter note, Katy asks someone about what one can expect on a daily basis in the field of web development. The person's response is that:

"Web development is very exciting, demanding, and fun. You have the best of both worlds, where you get to exercise your creativity and have the exacting demands of coding. You always have to be learning and have the ability to learn on the fly."


That job description in combination with the potential starting salary for a web developer position will drive me internally throughout this semester to do everything I can on my part to become a future master of the web. I want to prove to myself and to others what is possible to be taught on your own, in your own free time if you put your mind to it.

link to Katy's article: 2012 Web Development Outlook

No comments:

Post a Comment